Friday, October 06, 2006

Vonage, Support, and Worthless Words...


Wow… although many of you probably found the last post somewhat mundane… Others probably (those who have lived through it) found it “on mark.” Therefore, I just can’t leave well enough alone. And yes, sometimes I feel like this blog could have a theme song from Aaron Shust.

Let me just say, I love my Vonage. I really do. Nearly everyone I have referred them to loves Vonage. But there is always that one. The one person out there who is completely electronically challenged. You know that person… He/She just can’t get ANYTHING electronic to work for them. They touch a TV and it stops working. They get a Blackberry or a laptop and it won’t work for them. They get Vonage… you get the point. I have two in my life. I won’t name specific names, mainly because it is irrelevant.

So… on with the story. I decide to help one of these “electronics challenged” people out tonight by canceling their Vonage for them. I have never been so… fill in your own word here. Here is the conversation with the “Customer Service Representative” (yeah, right) tonight:

Marc: “please cancel the service.”
CSR: “Ok, that is fine. There will be a $39.00 termination fee.
Marc: “Ah, NO. I have attempted to fix this service for 2+ months on 3 or 4 occasions and tech support has been unable to fix it.”
CSR: “Would you like me to move you to Level 2 support”
Marc: “Ah, NO! Please cancel the service.”
CSR: “Ok, there will be a $39 termination fee.”
Marc: “I am specifically telling you that you are not authorized to charge the card.”
CSR: “Then I will be unable to cancel your account, it will remain active.”
Marc: “No. Please cancel the service. I am not authorizing ANY further charges on my account whether they are for service or termination. At this stage, you have no alternative, but to cancel my account with no termination fees. Vonage has violated the Terms of Service by not supplying appropriate levels of technical support and not allowing access to service for over 2 months.”
CSR: “I can’t do that.”

The process then started over again as if we never had the first conversation. So, I guess the answer is yes. I have worthless words that aren't put on this blog (no comments from the peanut gallery).

No joke. We had the same conversation approximately 50 times (without one bit of exaggeration). 45 MINUTES. The best part is some of you know me well enough to know that arguing is one of my favorite pastimes (just after playing games from http://www.tbrgames.com/). Therefore, you know that I am NOT exaggerating!

Because this CSR was so particular about following “company policy” I know that he was not able to hang-up on me. I really think he thought he could out wait me. Side note: I am the guy that after telling a phone sales rep that I was not interested 12 times… I had them talk to my 2 year old son for 20 minutes. I was nearly to that point tonight. I WAS NOT GOING TO HANG UP!

After 40 minutes of back-and-forth and 4 minutes of me NOT hanging up, he realized that he should just cancel the account and give me a cancellation confirmation number. The bad part was even after he was told NOT to charge the card, he charged the card. In all honesty, it was the most absurd conversation I have ever had with another human being… and I have had some weird ones!! I could tell you stories about late night runs to Bills Toasties… I digress!

I will finish much like I started… I like MY Vonage. It is just those around me that have serious issues with electronics… I know this post may not have had the wit as those in the past, but seriously: imagine having that conversation 50 times with the same person. No, on second thought… DON’T.

Well, the best I can do is post this on the bulletin board: “Customer Service Representative from Vonage: Free to good Christian home!”

More worthless (and hopefully wittier) words later…

2 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

WOW--I am really glad you didn't mention anyone's name in your blog--NO ONE would guess the electronically challenged person of which you speak (but thanks anyway). That Vonage guy did realize he didn't have a prayer.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

CSRs apparently don't know the meaning of "not authorized."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home