Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Elections, Quotes and Presidents...


It’s election season, what a trip! Between the endless commercials (only to get worse) and the constant media attention, I love today’s media… really I do. During that 10:00 news or on one of the 24-hour stops on the air, we catch a sound bite from a politician, a quote from an actor or actress, or hear a quick quip on our favorite prime-time show. But really, are things that bad? Are people really that (fill your own word in here)? Somehow, I don’t think so.

I think of media reports like Marion Barry thinks of Washington DC: “If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very low crime rate.” I say: If you take the spin and misrepresentations out of the media, the reporters really do get it right.

Ok, follow my logic here for a minute. If you follow the media, we haven’t had a good president since maybe Johnson:

  • President Nixon: “I was under medication when I made the decision to burn the tapes.”
  • President Ford: “I watch a lot of baseball on the radio.”
  • President Carter: “I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times…”
  • President Reagan: “Facts are stupid thing.”
  • President Bush: “For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks.”
  • President Clinton: “I did not have sexual relations with that woman.” Ok, maybe they got that one right, so I’ll include another one instead: “When I was a younger man and had a life, I owned an El Camino pickup in the '70s. It was a real sort of Southern deal. I had Astroturf in the back. You don't want to know why, but I did.”
  • President Bush: “Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country.”

Maybe things aren’t so bad… maybe that’s all we know.

The funny thing is… I really don’t know if any of these quotes are true. Think about it! I didn’t hear (most of) them or look each of them up on http://www.snopes.com/! I think Ivana Trump has it right: “Fiction writing is great, you can make up almost anything.”

But in the end, I believe that the anonymous writers are the ones that get it: “When all is said and done, there are more things said than done!”

More worthless words later…

7 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

I would have to agree with this quote:

Only government can take perfectly good paper, cover it with perfectly good ink and make the combination worthless.
Milton Friedman

OH HOW TRUE!!!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

Wow, such cynicism coming from the mouths of brothers and sisters who pride themselves on dwelling at the opposit end of the political spectrum (right/left respectively). You guys should joint me in the middle (read Dark Side of the Force). Forget politics and the so-called news. They're real Debbie Downers.

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU? are in the middle?

and joint you? As long as you don't inhale!

huh?

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

Can to qualify just who is at the right--who is at the left---and who has the "joint" in the middle??????

Just wondered!

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe it's a keg and not a joint? I'm sure Evan meant "join."

the secret llama

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

Update already!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

update!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home