Monday, November 06, 2006

Postage, Guitars, and Middle Schools...


Recently I had the privilege to review resumes for a position... through this process I have made several determinations.

Here are some of the, how shall we say, “mistakes” I ran into and some recommendations I have as a result:

  • When looking for a job... don’t send your resume postage due.
  • Your interests are only important if you are asked… for example, don’t include a separate page with your interests which says: “Playing guitar and piano, writing, singing.” Ah, I need to hire an office clerk… not Harry Connick Jr.
  • I would tend to stay away from starting your cover letter with sentences like: “Let me introduce myself I am Jane Doe, I am married and have 2 grown children. We live in Anytown with 4 cats and a dog that thinks of himself as a cat.”
  • Although there are plenty more to come I am going to wrap things up today with the following: these days there is probably not a need to list your Middle School as a part of your education. But to cap it off by listing next to it: “Graduated”???

Wow… I will share more of these worthless words later...

3 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i suppose hobbies like African Drumming should also be omitted lol

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

SO----does this mean I won't be getting the job???

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

But seriously, if one of your hobbies is walking around your office in just a Speedo, then by all means include it, so that you are not hired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home